Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Bucket List

Hey there, Blogger!  Long time, no see!  I know it's been a long time but, I just had to share something I heard/read about today...

SO, this morning, after I'd crossed into Maryland on my way to work, I turned on one of the local radio stations just in time to hear them talking about this blog that they had just linked to their Facebook page.  It's written by this little girl (age 15) who has cancer.  She had recently found out that she was losing the battle so she decided to start this blog about her "Bucket List".  Can you imagine?!  15 years old and doing a Bucket List!  Insanely sad!  Of course, once I got to work, I had to check it out for myself.  The list is so cute.  Nothing fancy...  She's added things that she wanted to do and knows she can't due to her illness and also added things that she knows she can do like getting a massage or someone to do her hair or having a party with her girlfriends.  You can't beat that kind of innocence!

Anyway, the blog was intended for her family and friends.  She only has 4 posts and she now has something like 7,000 followers!  The response was overwhelming!  I can't even do it justice to tell you about it, you have to read it for yourself.  It's just so simple and genuine.  She had no idea she would receive the response she did.  She's even made it very clear that she does not want "charity money" but she is using her new found fame to ask people to sign up as bone marrow participants and having people sponsor her sister in a run for cancer.  Basically, making people AWARE.  I was so touched, I decided to follow her myself.  I pray this child beats it because I know I would cry like a baby when I realize the posts are no longer coming!

I started thinking about my own Bucket List.  It's something I never put much thought into because, basically, I don't want for much.  I'm a homebody.  As long as my stress-level is low, I"m a happy camper!  But when you see something like that, it makes you think.  I guess my bucket list would consist of seeing the beautiful places of the world - Italy, France, The Pyramids, the Asian Pacific and so on...  You can't beat the sight of beautiful places!  So, yeah, I guess I'd like to travel some.  I'd also like to not take for granted the relationships I have with family and friends. 

So, I ask you, what's on YOUR Bucket List?

http://alicepyne.blogspot.com/


1 comments:

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

Post a Comment