Monday, January 3, 2011

NEW YEAR'S EVE WEEKEND: 4 STARS (JUST FOR YOU, LINDSAY!!)

After 72 hours of hibernation, I have finally emerged to talk about it.

Hubby and I were supposed to spend Friday night (New Year's Eve) with my BFF and her fiance celebrating the end of 2010 by playing trivia games, eating lots of great food and drinking Fane (Fake Wine aka non-alcoholic - something I've never had before but was - oddly enough - looking forward to trying). However, it was not meant to be... Hubby was stone-cold-sick! Fatigued, sneezy, coughing, feverish. Need I say more? So, after telling my friend that we would not be joining them on New Years Eve, I promptly got into bed with hubby and stayed there with him all weekend (literally!). If my favorite person in the world is stuck in bed, well then so am I. The only times I got out of bed were to go to the bathroom, get food (the eating part was in bed as well), smoke the occasional cigarette and a short trip to Wal-Mart to buy a new hair dryer since my old one kicked the bucket. Surprisingly enough, Wal-Mart was calm and behaving itself except for the grown woman I saw walking out of the store texting and wearing a winter hat that looked like a lion. (I wanted to ask her if they had one as the Scarecrow or the Tin Man but I refrained. What I REALLY wanted to do was take a damn picture but, I have this overwhelming fear of getting caught and shanked.)

Photobucket
I found this pic on the Internet but, this is the EXACT same hat I saw a GROWN WOMAN wearing in a manner that seemed to be... oblivious or... proudly?? I've been known to wear some goofy shit but... I would draw the line here (sigh).

So, other than that, we slept, talked, read, watched movies, texted our family and friends, Facebooked and ate in the comfort of our bed. To some people this sounds boring or uneventful. However, to me (other than Hubby getting sick or getting me sick on the near 3rd day) this was pure bliss!!! It was something that I think I, not only wanted but, needed for a long time.

Over the course of the weekend we watched EIGHT movies!! See list below:

  1. The Karate Kid (3 stars: This movie was verbatim of the original. I mean every scene was the same with the only differences being of location. Instead of Ralph Macchio moving from New Jersey to California, little Dre moved from California to China. Instead of Ralph hiding in a shower curtain costume and sneaking up with a hose in the bathroom on Johnny, little Dre hid behind a car in an alley and threw a bucket of water at his enemy. Are you catching my drift? The only thing good about it was the cute Will Smith off-spring and the oh-so-cool Jackie Chan. Other than that, save yourself the disappointment and stick to the 1980's original.)
  2. White Out (3 stars: Kate Beckinsale = No Biggie)
  3. My Sister's Keeper (4 stars: For anyone that read the book, I hope you'll agree with me in saying that this book should've been made into a two to four part mini-series instead of a two hour movie. Part of the book's allure was all of the short stories going on within it. The movie didn't quite capture the essence of the book and I don't like how they changed the ending in the movie. For this is the reason it didn't get 5 stars.)
  4. Easy A (4 stars: Funny actress takes on The Scarlet Letter - It was just too cute of a "tween" movie not to get 4 stars.)
  5. The A-Team (3 stars: Hot actors, good humor and great action. 'Nuff said.)
  6. Going The Distance (4 stars: I LOOOOOOOVE Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate and Justin Long! Having those 3 together in this movie was a great combination of a cute and funny, romantic comedy.)
  7. Get Him To The Greek (Hubby picked this movie and I fell asleep halfway into it.)
  8. Why Did I Get Married Too? (5 stars: I have yet to be disappointed by a Tyler Perry drama flick. This sequel is better than the first. Janet Jackson's character finally broke down and went all psycho and of course Tasha Smith's character is a fucking trip! I hope I never have to be on the other side of her wrath.)

For those of you that don't know me, I am a total movie (and book) addict! I treasure DVDs and books like a pirate treasures his new found loot. This weekend was a great fix.

Honestly, in all my (almost) 33 years, I have never thought much of celebrating New Year's Eve. I have the worst time staying up until midnight (I was asleep by 9:30p this year), I hate crowds and don't like parties very much either. (If I were to be totally frank, I just don't like people, in general.) AND, I fear getting hit by some drunk dude en route to or from the holiday festivities. Hubby seems to think it would be much more fun if it were on say June 30th. It's no fun standing outside in the cold waiting for a fucking ball to drop. I, whole-heartedly, agree! In the past 10 years since my husband and I have been together, we've only gone out/celebrated once. A short dinner nearby our home at the time and it really wasn't that great of a meal. So, even though we didn't get to spend it with my girlfriend and her fiance, it was a usual New Year's Eve for us. I give it 4 stars. The only thing that would've made it better (5 stars) is if Hubby wasn't hacking up a lung. FYI - he's now feeling better.

So, starting tomorrow morning, it's back to the real world... Working, taking care of the house (which will be a whole other post, soon to come), getting back to the gym and everything else that entails being a productive member of society.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!

Much Love,
Your Favorite Crazy Woman XOXO


0 comments:

Post a Comment