Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Transition Is Just Another Word For Limbo

Living in PA and working in MD can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. For starters, if you don't leave at just the right time, you can be sitting in traffic for forever. And if you're running late due to oversleeping, then you're really late. None of this calling your boss and saying "I'm running 5 or 10 minutes late"... It's more like "I'll be in around 9:30 or 10:00a". And, if it snows? UGH - FUHGETABOUDIT!!!

However, you get use to it... And, if all goes smoothly, it can be a nice, relaxing ride. I live 50 miles from my office (about an hour each way - again, if all goes smoothly) and I like to use that time to relax, listen to music and/or... obsess.

Obsessing for me is more like a conversation with myself - out loud - literally. I mean seriously, how can the half of yourself that's listening hear you if the other half doesn't speak up? Don't act like you don't know what I mean.

This evening's ride home was just like that.

I started to bitch to myself about how my job was really pissing me off. Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I like what I do, [most of] the people I work with and more importantly, the paycheck that it provides. However, I work for Corporate America (sigh). And Corporate America is currently making it's way through a merger. Since I'm a clerk, I really don't have much to do except to sit back and wait it out. Leave the heavy lifting to the Higher Ups (and IT) and of course, do what's asked of me when it's asked. Got it - no problem!

BUT...

I have very little patience for the in-between... the transition!

     tran·si·tion 
     [tran-zish-uhn]
     –noun
        1. change or passage from one state or stage to another
        2. the period of time during which something changes from one state or stage to another


FYI - transition is just another word for limbo.

     lim·bo
     [lim-boh]
     –noun 
        1. an unknown intermediate place or condition between two extremes
        2. a place or state of imprisonment or confinement.


Am I right?

People leave, you pick up some extra work. After they leave, you still have questions but you end up having to figure it out for yourself because there's no one else to ask. The system slows down and it takes you two, three, four times longer than usual to get something done. New clerks need assistance in learning the process and you're pulled in another direction while all the other stuff is going on. Then you realize that the "new" clerks are slow to learn and of course, that's taking up even more of your time (and you want to scream at them). In the end, you're working an hour and a half later than usual just to get done the stuff that usually only takes half a day.

Photobucket

The lesson of this story is, if you find someone that will pay you to stay home? Ask them if they have an opening for me.

Much Love,
Your favorite Crazy Woman XOXO

0 comments:

Post a Comment